In case you haven’t heard, several of our fall sports teams built on their success last season to have record-breaking seasons this year. The Pioneer Volleyball team won its first 2A state championship in program history, and the Boys Soccer team won its first 2A state runner-up title in program history.
Several members of the volleyball team won other honors, with senior Abby Spitznagel winning the Mental Attitude Award and Abby and fellow teammate senior Mary Kate Meyer were named Honorable Mention to the Indiana Coaches of Girls Sports Association Academic All-State. Juniors Taylor Wilson (middle hitter), Haley Libs (outside hitter) and Patricia Mattingly (setter) were named to the ICGSA 1st Team All-State, and sophomores Jacquie Hornung (outside hitter) and Audrey Shannon (libero) were named 2nd Team All-State. Taylor, Haley, and Patricia were invited to try out for the ICGSA North/South All-Star team on Sunday, Nov. 17. Coach Terri Purichia was selected as ICGSA Class 2A State Coach of the Year and was also named as the Class 3A/4A North/South All-Star team head coach.
Other accomplishments include:
- Cheerleading placed fourth in the Indiana School Principals Association state finals.
- Boys Cross Country was fourth at sectional and advanced to regional as a team. Seniors Lincoln Ottersbach and Spencer Mitchell and freshman Juston Betz qualified for semi-state.
- Girls Cross Country was fifth at sectional and advanced to regional as a team.
- Boys Tennis was 14-6 in dual meets, and juniors Will Andres and Jacob Quinkert received honorable mention to the Indiana High School Tennis Coaches Association’s All-District singles team.
- In Girls Golf, sophomores Colleen Geldermann and Nicole Kruer advanced to individual regionals.
- Football ended with a winning season, including a five-game win streak at the end of the regular season. The team lost in the second round of sectionals, falling to No. 8 Triton Central.